Friday, October 3, 2014

halloween a'whirl

I am a member of the Doll Quilt Monthly swap where optional monthly themes are supposed to challenge you and your partner to make something creative yet on an achievable small scale. I sat the summer out and had no exchanges but so was anxious to get back in the game and start designing again. I really do love the challenge of designing for someone else; just give me a theme, and I am all over the challenge. It jolts my brains with new ideas and possibilities. The themes for September were Farmer's Market & Back to School, but I thought if we got a jump on Halloween, we both could put something out on the kitchen table for the rest of the next month of October.

I quilted just the outline of the pumpkins and thought about an allover or meander in the purple areas. Since I am so afraid to mess things up, I just left the purple areas open. I quilted the outer border of the whirlwinds and outlined the center two in the middle. I finished it off with a 1/4" binding. The faces were fun to make, but not as easy as you might think. Not all looked good with the "standard" face. It must have been that great fabric I used called Juggling Summer from Brigitte Heitland. It was a great choice for the more sophisticated Halloween quilt.


I love celebrating Halloween and am happy that Trick-or-Treating is seeping its way into German culture. (It was actually there a long time ago with "Zuckerruben" and going door to door!) I went last year with my kids Trick-or-Treating with my dear neighbor, Derya and her two kids. We had a lota of fun! I am not sure we are going to go this year. We are expecting friends for a weekend visit and think it would be nicer to visit Lego Land. I am sure they put on a fantastic show for Halloween.


I just have to put this cute little label on it using my new style and technique of outlining in the binding color/fabric and hand sew it down. It goes into the mail on Monday morning!


I really had a lot of fun creating this table runner. Maybe one of the funnest parts was the fact that I used fabrics from my stash only; I didn't buy and new fabrics! Most of the whirlwinds and pumpkins came straight from my scrap bin. You can learn more my creative process here.

Thanks for dropping by!
Karen

3 comments:

  1. I love the centre of this mini quilt, very nice but being a bit of a wimp I find Halloween a bit frightening and turn my lights off pretending I am not at home when they come knocking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW - I LOVE IT Karen - great job!!! Ich mag es auch Halloween zu feiern (obwohl es hier in Italien GAR NICHT üblich ist).... Deine Stoffauswahl ist wieder perfekt!
    Hab ein schönes weekend
    Herzliche Grüße
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh dieses kleine Quiltchen gefällt mir sehr gut. Weisst Du eigentlich das Orange meine Lieblingsfarbe ist? Das war schon immer so, und an Halloween kann man orange so gut einsetzen.
    LG
    KATRIN W.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for dropping by and leaving comments! You really make my day! - Karen

Notice:
If you comment on my blog, your personal data such as IP-Address will be collected by Google. Find more information about this on my General Data Protection Page:

https://easypatchwork.blogspot.de/p/datenschutz.htm or that from Google.
___________________________

Hinweis:
Wenn du auf meinem Blog kommentierst, werden die von dir eingegebenen Formulardaten (und unter Umständen auch weitere personenbezogene Daten, wie z. B. deine IP-Adresse) an Google-Server übermittelt. Mehr Infos dazu findest du in meiner Datenschutzerklärung (https://easypatchwork.blogspot.de/p/datenschutz.html) und in der Datenschutzerklärung von Google.