Sunday, July 27, 2014

tonga cabana contest at EQ7

I came across a very nice, down and dirty block contest at EQ7 to design a block at least 6 x 6 inches. (I am continuously designing quilts and blocks and had a few stock piled and ready to use.) This is really an awesome contest, because there is free fabric from Timeless Treasures on the line. The collection will be given away - a full set of Cabana by Daniela Stout - Tonga Treats in 10", 5", 2.5" strips, 6" strips, and FQs!!

I should have read the instructions several times; I thought I was supposed to design a quilt! After reading the instructions for a third time, I realized I was putting a little too much effort into it all. Also, the winner will be randomly picked, so the block doesn't have to be an original; it just has to be designed and colored with EQ7!

I am a little clueless as to what this block is originally called. I am calling it an altered log cabin point. It has become a very popularized block that is log cabin assembled on paper and then the side triangles are added last. I thought I would add a strip before adding the triangle. It makes a very stunning second design.

Here is my block for the contest:



This block measures to 6 x 6 inches. I find there is a very subtle but yet effective contrast in this fabric line. There are strong blues, dark greens, a little gray and even a very light white with bubbles. I added an off white solid to lighten everything up but not too much.

If you are interested in making this block, just download a template (you can find one here). Don't forget to bring in contrast fabrics in the corners.


Here is a mini version which finishes at 19 x 19 inches. There is no sashing on this one. It would be great for the Doll Quilt Monthly Swap. I sat out this summer trying to catch up on other projects, but I do miss it. I loved the monthly challenges; I was thinking a whole month in advance what I could whip up. Thinking about that, if I win the contest, I will make this mini and send it to my next swap partner. Now that is a promise!

Or if you want something a little more difficult, you could try this one. Both patterns will be available on Craftsy.



If you want to join the challenge, you still have time. On Thursday, July 31st, you can link up your design at the EQ7 blog. I wish everyone the best of luck!!


Thanks for dropping by!
Karen

3 comments:

  1. Du bist ein fleißiges Bienchen! Viel Spaß weiterhin beim Designen neuer Blöcke und Quilts, und viel Glück im Wettbewerb.
    LG
    KATRIN W.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting. I just don't know where you find the time to design your blocks AND sew them. Do you sleep? Stop to eat?:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Liebe Karen,
    Dein Block ist toll geworden - ich wünsche Dir ganz viel Glück!!
    Liebe Grüße
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for dropping by and leaving comments! You really make my day! - Karen

Notice:
If you comment on my blog, your personal data such as IP-Address will be collected by Google. Find more information about this on my General Data Protection Page:

https://easypatchwork.blogspot.de/p/datenschutz.htm or that from Google.
___________________________

Hinweis:
Wenn du auf meinem Blog kommentierst, werden die von dir eingegebenen Formulardaten (und unter Umständen auch weitere personenbezogene Daten, wie z. B. deine IP-Adresse) an Google-Server übermittelt. Mehr Infos dazu findest du in meiner Datenschutzerklärung (https://easypatchwork.blogspot.de/p/datenschutz.html) und in der Datenschutzerklärung von Google.