Friday, July 11, 2014

tangram and pinwheel variation

Motivation is a big problem right now. Is anyone else struggling with this too....summertime fun? I think we all are?! Time for sewing is very limited with such nice weather. I'd rather be sitting by the pool reading a super good book!

I managed to take the time and go to my monthly patchwork guild meeting. We decided this year, several of us were going to present a block or technique for all the others to try out. At the end of the year, we should have enough new blocks for a sampler commemorating our 20 years as a patchwork group.

The two previous months, we made a puzzle block and an Atarashii block. These two didn't go as well as I wanted them to, because they were very time intensive. Actually, I don't even have the puzzle block finished. But the blocks for June and Juli went very smoothly. Although I didn't even take my fabricto my meeting, let alone my sewing machine to the meeting, I did take notes and help out my friend, Marianne. She also nudged me along to finish these two blocks this week instead of putting them off. This post is dedicated to her - she reads (or looks at) my blog, but never comments. I think it is because I write strictly in English. Well, we'll see if we can get this post translated into German so she can read it too. ;-)

Both of these blocks (tangram and pinwheel variation) measure roughly 19cm or about seven inches. After I made these two, I thought about making my folded star a little smaller or ripping out the borders and adjusting the size to match the others. I might even finish the puzzle block a little smaller to be more in unison with the others.

I also really like to make blocks if they don't take too long to sew. You know me; I don't like it too complicated, or I just won't finish it. I think about one to two hours to complete a block is just about the right amount of time I like to take. My SewKitschy blocks take about three to four hours when I take my time and try to get the fabrics right. My North Pole blocks take much longer. My Hasenbach Challenge is just about finished and was quite easy to sew. The blocks were simple, and I kept the fabrics limited. And of course there is the Jump Start SAL. The blocks were so awesomely easy, I could fit it in between projects.

How long do you like to take for your blocks? I would like to hear from you. Please leave a comment below. If you are new to the site, please follow or subscribe for updates.

4 comments:

  1. I'm so 'all over the place' when I'm in the zone. Esp. in the summertime. I can't really say how long it takes, except that it depends on the block. At least an hour?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty blocks! Go Germany tomorrow! My DIL and grandchildren are German!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Liebe Karen,
    Du hast wieder sehr schöne Blöcke mit tollen Farben genäht!!
    Im Sommer hat man einfach weniger Zeit zum nähen.... die Natur ruft....
    Liebe Grüße
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hallo Karen,
    Du hast gute Fortschritte gemacht, jetzt muss ich dann wirklich viel aufholen!
    LG
    KATRIN W.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for dropping by and leaving comments! You really make my day! - Karen

Notice:
If you comment on my blog, your personal data such as IP-Address will be collected by Google. Find more information about this on my General Data Protection Page:

https://easypatchwork.blogspot.de/p/datenschutz.htm or that from Google.
___________________________

Hinweis:
Wenn du auf meinem Blog kommentierst, werden die von dir eingegebenen Formulardaten (und unter Umständen auch weitere personenbezogene Daten, wie z. B. deine IP-Adresse) an Google-Server übermittelt. Mehr Infos dazu findest du in meiner Datenschutzerklärung (https://easypatchwork.blogspot.de/p/datenschutz.html) und in der Datenschutzerklärung von Google.