Wednesday, March 26, 2014

north pole sal - elves recreation center



Well, it is that time again. It is the last Wednesday of the month - time to show my latest block for Val Spiers - Welcome to the North Pole Sew-A-Long. I am very pleased with my new block. Some things that helped me were:
  1. Staying within a color wheel segment and not jumping around.
  2. Using the same ideas from my initial block such as the snow, the dark roofs, background and gray windows.
  3. Initial pre-planning this block when I finished the first block.
  4. Fixing my due date and sticking to it.
Okay, you can see that some of the fabrics I didn't use, but I had to try out three different doors until I got the one I liked the best.

I managed to crank this block out in a relatively short period of time. I am so proud of myself! ;-) I didn't dilly-dally like I usually do - contemplating if I should use this fabric or that one - just the door. And the gray looks better now that I have two blocks finished. Thank you, Katrin. I should trust my first instinct and not second guess.

If you haven't joined up to this SAL, and you have the book, it would be awesome if you could join us. I am not much of a hand appliquéist but you don't have to hand appliqué it. The machine works just as well! I am leaving my options open for the moment.


This is turning out to be such a great experience. And look, you can make a wall hanging with bright and cheery colors that you can hang up all year long! How great is that?


Thank you for dropping by. New viewers and readers are warmly welcome! Don't forget to sign up for updates via Google, bloglovin, or a simple email.

9 comments:

  1. Hallo Karen,
    Du hast einen super schönen Block gemacht. Deine Farben sind für mich ungewöhnlich, gefallen mir aber ausgesprochen gut! Das wird so schön!
    LG
    KATRIN W.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blocks are looking great!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this block!! Superschöne Stoffe!
    LG
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such cute blocks. I really love your fabric choices for the latest block. I just got a copy of the book myself but I think it might be a while before I get a chance to make up some of the blocks myself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the colours that you are using, your blocks look brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Karen,
    I really love the fresh and bright colours you use for the houses!
    Nice work.
    Hugs Marle

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the look of the colour coordinated houses. I am doing mine by machine - mainly blanket stitching but I might use a few other decorative stitches as well - I figure its only out for a short time each year, so needs to be a less stressful project and I can play more with threads etc.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The way you have chosen the colours for each block really makes them look beautiful. Wonderful idea to stick to colours close together on the colour wheel. It certainly helps to get the work done when you make a little list of goals to stick too. Thanks for linking up this month.
    Valspierssews

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Karen
    Just jumped in at your blog here.
    I would like to ask you a question - And hope you will answer it for me
    What book are theese lovely houses to be found in?
    You are now on my everyday readinglist of blogs - It is a lovely one you have here..

    Hugs from Lone In Denmark
    And where to get it

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for dropping by and leaving comments! You really make my day! - Karen

Notice:
If you comment on my blog, your personal data such as IP-Address will be collected by Google. Find more information about this on my General Data Protection Page:

https://easypatchwork.blogspot.de/p/datenschutz.htm or that from Google.
___________________________

Hinweis:
Wenn du auf meinem Blog kommentierst, werden die von dir eingegebenen Formulardaten (und unter Umständen auch weitere personenbezogene Daten, wie z. B. deine IP-Adresse) an Google-Server übermittelt. Mehr Infos dazu findest du in meiner Datenschutzerklärung (https://easypatchwork.blogspot.de/p/datenschutz.html) und in der Datenschutzerklärung von Google.