Wednesday, January 15, 2014

because retro is so now


I am psyched up for the new year! I am feeling good. I cleaned my sewing room and straightened up my fabrics. I put my most current projects (WIPs -Work in Progress) or UFOs and we call them here into plastic bags - I save them from the Fat Quarter Shop and reuse; I am so Schwäbisch! ;-) I met with a friend to talk about our projects and sewing together for more motivation. Can you feel the energy radiating?

Next on my project list for this week, now I have to think in weeks and not monthly posts, is/was Sew Kitschy. A German friend of mine asked me how "kitschy" translated into English. I think she was a little disappointed when I told her it was the same word. Okay, so the block of this month is that so adorable pot holder and oven mitt. What I really, really like about this BOM is the simplicity, and the retro, the red/turquoise, and only nine months! When I started laying out the fabric for the block, I wanted to use a big retro print for the background. All of the fabrics I have, are medium sized direction prints which started to present a challenge, but I mastered it. It can be done with a little patience. I did get this finished in one day (with other appointments and kids homework on the side). If you like the look of retro and want to use a larger print in the background, go for it! It is worth the effort.

And I wanted to share with you one of the preludes to Linear Refraction. As soon as I heard about the blog hop, I wanted to use some off these really fresh colors and mix them with brown. I have yet to complete this rather small foundation mix. I threw it away yesterday in the cleaning sparade. But oh, the lovely things you can do with Kona solids.


Enjoy the rest of your week. Soak up the sun rays whenever they poke through. And keep on sewing and posting!

Sewingly yours,
Karen

7 comments:

  1. Glad your week is off to a good start. It will be fun to see all that you accomplish now that your sewing area is all tidied up and you are raring to go! Cute potholder block, so bright and cheery!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dein erster "Kitschy" Block sieht super aus, das mit dem großgemusterten Hintergrund hast Du super hin bekommen. Ich bin grad auch voll am organisieren und ordnen meiner Projekte. Jetzt kommen erst die chilly, silly Schnemmänner dran und dann mein Kitschy Block.
    LG
    KATRIN W.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your first Sew Kitschy block - it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your Kitschy block, but did you rally mean you threw away that cute piece at the bottom? I hope that was accidental!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's supposed to say really mean

      Delete
  5. What great colors for a real POP in your Kitschy block! I love it!

    susie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ich finde Dein Sew Kitschy Block grossartig... Sehr schöne Stoffauswahl!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for dropping by and leaving comments! You really make my day! - Karen

Notice:
If you comment on my blog, your personal data such as IP-Address will be collected by Google. Find more information about this on my General Data Protection Page:

https://easypatchwork.blogspot.de/p/datenschutz.htm or that from Google.
___________________________

Hinweis:
Wenn du auf meinem Blog kommentierst, werden die von dir eingegebenen Formulardaten (und unter Umständen auch weitere personenbezogene Daten, wie z. B. deine IP-Adresse) an Google-Server übermittelt. Mehr Infos dazu findest du in meiner Datenschutzerklärung (https://easypatchwork.blogspot.de/p/datenschutz.html) und in der Datenschutzerklärung von Google.